KISSING TO MAZAARS (Mazaars ko Chumna Jaayez) by Qabr-e-Mubaraks of Awliyas –Saudi Arabian Islamic Scholar:
QUESTION : Is it allowed to Kiss the Qabr?
ANSWER:[A Summary of the teachings of Saudi Arabian Sunni Islamic Scholar Shaykh As-Sayyid Muhammad ibn `Alawi al-Maliki of Makkah al-Mukarramah]
- There are many Hadith which show that the Sahabah used to kiss the grave of Nabi Muhammad, sall-Allahu `alayhi wa sallam: Ibn Asakir in Tarikh Dimashq, al-Samhudi in Wafa al-Wafa and al-Imam al-Mujtahid al- Subki in Shifa as-Siqam bi-ziyarat Khayr al-Anaam, narrate that when Sayyidina Bilal,radi Allahu `anh, came back to Madinah after many years, he went straight to the Honourable Qabr of Nabi Muhammad, sall-Allahu `alayhi wa sallam, and fell down and put his forehead on the Qabr, and kissed it, saying, "Oh my beloved, Rasulullah, sall- Allahu `alayhi wa sallam."Imam al-Qastalani narrates in his Mawahib Ladunniyyah that when Nabi Muhammad, sall-Allahu `alayhi wa sallam, died, his daughter, Sayyidah Fatimah, radi Allahu `anha', took sand from His Qabr and put it over her face and wept, saying: "Maza ala man shamma Turbata Ahmadin an laa yashumma madaz Zamaani Ghawaliya (The person who has smelt the dust of the Grave of Nabi Muhammad, sall-Allahu `alayhi wa sallam, does not need to smell any perfume ever again)
- Ibn Hisham narrates that when Nabi Muhammad, sall-Allahu `alayhi wa sallam, had passed away, Sayyidina Abu Bakr As-Siddiq, radi Allahu `anh, went to kiss his forehead and said, "How blessed and perfumed are you when you are alive, and how blessed and perfumed are you when you have passed away." Was he making Shirk?
- Imaam Al-Dhahabi narrates in Majmu' Shuyukh al-Dhahabi (vol.1 p.72-74) that the son of Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal said to his father that people touch and kiss the Qabr of Nabi Muhammad, sall-Allahu `alayhi wa sallam, to get the Barakah. Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal replied that there was no problem with that (la ba'sa bihi).
- Imaam Al-Ghazali says in his famous work Minhaj al-'Abideen (p.347) that the Wali of Allah reaches such a state that: "Allah gives Barakah in his Breath, Speech, Clothes, Company, places where he sat and even the Sand he walked on".
- Muhammad Aslam Idris We say, the Awliya of this Ummah are attested by Millions of Pious Muslims to be from the Friends of Allah, how can one then still question their Imaan?